Monday, November 25, 2013


What an amazing two days!  The flight was fine.  No real problems.  I got a beautiful shot of the sunset from the plane.  Leslie and I didn't get to sit by each other but the plane was dark and we were expected to sleep, so it was probably for the best that we weren't beside each other.

We got to the flat and pretty quickly went to eat and ended the day with Holy Communion at St. Paul's Cathedral.

We got up early today and had a lovely breakfast.  Glenda, the early riser, had walked to the grocery store and had cooked a great breakfast.  Then we went to The Tower of London for the day.  Absolutely amazing!!  Parts of it are from the original Roman settlement of London!  We're talking about year 100(ish)!!!  Then the main parts were built in the early 1000's.   Yes, I wrote 1000's.  More of it in the late 1260's.   Then other parts at other times through the years.  I was standing drying my hands in the public ladies' room thinking, "these walls were built in 1070 and I'm drying my hands with an electric dryer!"  It was a weird juxtaposition.

We came back to our neighborhood and Glenda and I ran some errands and went to the Middle of the Millenium  Bridge to take some pictures.  This comment requires some information about our "neighborhood."  We rented a flat that is a few blocks from St. Paul's Cathedral.  We are also a few blocks from the Thames.  The flat is in a Victorian building and is darling.  So much better than a hotel.  After resting for a few minutes, Leslie and I walked a couple blocks to a fish & chips spot and got take out for supper.  The shop is in the same place as a shop mentioned by Dickens in the Pickwick Papers.  That has been my take-away for the day.  Stuctures don't have to be torn down every 25 years.  Structures can stand for hundreds of years and they can be modified and adapted.  The trick is, building something worth standing for hundreds of years.

It is now 7:30 p.m. on Monday and the jet lag is hitting.  I'll sleep well tonight and tomorrow we have an adventure to Leeds, Canterbury, and Dover.   So many sights, so little time!!!  

                                                 

No comments: